Though they are cute, they are restless also. They can surely be dangerous. According to the research, chipmunks can spread diseases like plague and tularemia. Now, this is everyone’s issue to deal with their restless activities. Sometimes, one feels frustrated. They can cause damage to your garden also. They are primarily active in the spring and summer seasons as the seasons are comfortable for their breeding purpose. The below portion is going to help you with how to get rid of chipmunks. I’ll be giving you 10 significant ways of repelling chipmunks from your garden or house.
You may be confused with chipmunks and squirrels. Yeah, it’s possible. So, it is necessary to differentiate before removing them from your yard. For your further information, squirrels are a little larger than chipmunks. They don’t have stripes on their body like chipmunks.
Some steps can prevent damage in your yard from chipmunks without causing any harm to them.
- Using animal repellent like ultrasonic devices, live traps, repellent spray, Naphthalene can obstruct their spreading. According to doctors, repellent can sometimes be dangerous to humans. So, keep in mind when you are using it.
- If they find any path, they will escape. So, close the interior space and allows them a path to escape. Be careful not to spook them. Otherwise, they will divert themselves to somewhere else.
- Changes in your yard like removing wood or rock piles, planting bulbs that don’t attract wild lives, or surrounding the yard with a plant-free gravel border can reduce chipmunks from attacking your garden.
- Keep track of the trees, shrubs, and other plantings. Check frequently so that it doesn’t grow rapidly. It will help if you cut out the portion of over-growing areas. It would be best if you always cleaned the area from time to time.
- Please keep in mind that the food items are not lying outside the house. It saves your place from rodents or squirrels.
- A pest-proofing technique like placing a ¼ inch mesh hardware cloth around the gardens and flowers can repel those naughty chipmunks.
- Clean up spilled seeds and choose seeds like thistle, which doesn’t attract chipmunks or squirrels.
- Trapping is one of the proven ways of repelling chipmunks from your garden. Place the trap, which is 10 to 20 inches long, and apply peanut butter to attract chipmunks in the most affected area. Check the trap frequently. If there is any inside the trap, try to relocate them without causing any harm to them. To do this, be aware of the local law first.
- Place bird feeders at least 15 to 30 feet away.
- If the above options don’t work for you, it is advisable that you consult with a professional person.